In this age of technology highly developed, home security is getting more and more attention. One of the biggest advantage of a smart home is being able to know what’s happening when you’re not around. A home security camera is a great tool for keeping an eye on things from afar and improve your home security as well.
Although capabilities vary from device to device, security cameras allow you to monitor what’s going on in your home through live or recorded video. But not all cameras are created equally. Some have alarms or can send you notifications when they detect activity, some offer two-way audio, some are meant to monitor your baby, and some even double as full-on home automation hubs.
Let’s check out our review of the best security camera for 2020.
- Best wire-free security camera – Arlo Pro 3
- Best smart home security camera – Mijia 360° Home Security Cam
- Best budget indoor security camera – XiaoFang 1S 1080P Security Cam
- Best outdoor security camera – Imilab EC2 Outdoor Security Cam
Arlo Pro 3
- 2K video resolution
- 100% wire-free design
- Indoor/outdoor versatility
- Works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and IFTTT
- Easy to install
- 2 cameras required to get base station
- Some features are only available via subscription.
Arlo Pro 3 is our pick for the best wireless security camera because it doesn’t need a power cord and still manages to outperform the competition. We think the Arlo Pro 3 is an excellent choice for most people, especially if you want a quick setup, multiple cameras, and outstanding video quality.
Arlo Pro 3 delivers stunning 2K video and is loaded with features including an integrated spotlight and siren, smart motion detection, color night vision, and an ultra-wide field of view.
Xiaomi Mijia 360° Home Security Cam
- Affordable price
- Solid design
- Good camera output
- Convenient live audio chat feature
- Impressive night vision mode
- Fast and accurate motion detection
- No cloud storage support
Xiaomi Mijia 360° Home Security Camera perfectly channels Xiaomi’s ‘more bang for your bucks’ philosophy, and is feature-rich as well as affordable. With an excellent build quality and design, ease of use, a large number of features, and the overall quality of its recorded video, this Xiaomi offering is easily one of the best devices in its segment.
Xiaomi XiaoFang 1S 1080P Security Cam
- Easy to install
- Small and portable
- Camera sports a 110˚FOV, and can rotate for up to 180 degrees
- MicroSD card up to 64GB
- The monitoring image quality is below the promised 1080p
Xiaomi XiaoFang 1S comes with a nice set of features and an affordable price tag. It’s easy to operate, is user-friendly and a worthy entry level security choice – which I would highly recommend for personal use.
Xiaomi Imilab EC2 Outdoor Security Cam
- 100% wire-free design
- Free lifetime Mi Cloud storage
- Battery can last up to 100 days on a single charge
- Slightly tricky app setup
Xiaomi Imilab EC2 is completely wireless. The only wire you will ever need to use is the standard USB charging cable, but this shouldn’t be too much of an issue as the EC2 can run for up to 4 months on one charge alone. EC2’s 1080P HD camera quality is excellent, even in night vision mode, which is automatically activated and works up to 100m. The signal remains strong even through walls, and it is fully waterproof.
EC2 is integrated with PIR and a cutting edge AI (artificial intelligence) technology which allows it to differentiate between human, large pets or other large warm moving objects. You will receive an app notification quickly which can be checked in real-time where only a human is detected. The camera also runs in a low power mode when no movement is detected. This ensures the battery lasts for a long time. All in all, despite the slight complexity of the virtual setup, once the EC2 is up and running, it does its job fantastically well.
Wireless Security Camera FAQ
Can my security camera being hacked?
The unfortunate truth is that, yes, security cameras can be vulnerable to hacking—but the good news is that you can do things to keep hackers out.
Nearly every security camera we looked at supports encryption. This protects the camera’s data stream (like videos of your kids after school) from prying eyes.
No matter what security features come with your camera, these tips can help you maximize the privacy of your security cameras:
- Buy a camera with a recognizable brand and purchase it from a trustworthy seller.
- Make sure your home Wi-Fi network is secure.
- Create unique, strong passwords for your camera and any apps you use to access it.
- Keep firmware up-to-date on your camera and your Wi-Fi router.
- Turn off remote viewing when you don’t need it.
- Block the lens of your camera when you’re not using it—a post-it or a piece of painters tape will work.
Will a security camera work as a baby/kid/pet monitor?
We’ve learned that many people want a wireless security camera to keep an eye on the people and pets they love. If this is your goal, here are some things to consider:
- Two-way communication: This lets you listen in and talk to the pets or people at home.
- Night vision: Clear images in low light are especially important if you want to use the camera as a baby monitor.
- Field of view: Most security cameras use a wide-angle lens, while baby monitors and nanny cams often use a more narrow range of vision to focus on the baby.
- Pan and tilt: If you’re viewing pets or older kids remotely from the office or on a beach, you may want to be able to move the camera angle.